Have you found a bug or issue with Uncharted 4?

The PS4 fan goes crazy in the menus (uncapped framerate?)

Can you guys cap/v-sync the framerate to 30-60fps (SP/MP)?

The summer is coming soon and I'm afraid I'm gonna get a faulty GPU...

Apparently many PS4 games have this issue (uncapped fps in the menus):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175951050

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/does-your-ps4-fan-ever-run-at-100-rpm.454507232/

56 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tapantaola shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminNaughty Dog QA Team (Admin, Naughty Dog) responded  · 

Please include the model number of your kit if you are experiencing this issue.

We are continuing to look into this, but wanted to provide a few updates.

Our framerate is never uncapped, so that particular aspect doesn’t appear to apply in the case of Uncharted 4.

That said, we do tend to use 100% of the PS4 resources while running the game. If you are running an older kit, have a heated room or poor ventilation around the PS4, you are more likely to have the fan running at max capacity.

Few other games require the system resources of Uncharted 4, which is why you may not experience it with other titles.

All that said, we are looking into it to see if there are other factors at play since it seems particular to the menus for most people.

Appreciate the detail everyone has provided thus far.

26 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RbN91 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem too, my PS4 model is cuh-1116A. It happens in the title screen and with the menus, but while I'm playing for example a match online this problem dissapear (when the match finished and become to the menu of multiplayer, the problem appear again). Please, fix it, I don't want my PS4 died =(

• brickarts295 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Launch Model here (1001) and I also get the loud fans. Which is weird since It wasn't loud the last couple of days.

• tapantaola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gabriel_Drake

Uncapped fps is the only logical explanation I can think of, since it plagues many PS4 games for no good reason (poor Sony QA?).

I'm still looking forward to a detailed technical/programming explanation, if anyone can enlighten us... :)

The 3D background/scenery seems very basic/downgraded to me, so it shouldn't be that computationally intensive.

• Gabriel_Drake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Naughty Dog QA Team launch model CUH-1004A, Delta fan. I understand menus have 3d bg/scenery, but putting more strain on the system than in-game is absurd. Please, keep looking into it, thanks. @tapanaola told ya was not uncapped fps... ;)

@ND QA Team

I have the launch PS4 model (CUH-1003A). Cleaning the dust and replacing the thermal paste doesn't seem to help...

I still don't understand what's so taxing about the menus... the fan does less noise (less RPM) while playing the game or watching the (spectacular) cutscenes. Honestly, it's baffling.

Thanks for looking at it!

• Chris524518 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is weird, because my ps4 never gave me the overheating ps4 message until I started playing uc4, so I think something is up.

• B1ZLE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh and it's not just in the menus it's all the time the second it gets loaded up and started, in story mode I can't hear the dialogue at some points!!!!

• B1ZLE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My ps4 is a launch day ps and has never had any issues until I used this disc, I've not updated the new patch as yet but from what it says it won't help me anyway.
    From the menu screen as soon as I press x on the game my fans come on full speed, there is nothing wrong with the heat sink if there was then 6 hours of bf4 would have highlighted this I think don't you!
    If I close the app though options the cooling fans stop straight away, if I play online multi player, fan speed will reduce to half speed but still a ridiculous racket.
    I have 20gig spare storage and I installed the disc 16/5.
    This issue is without a doubt the uncharted disc that causes this to happen, I'm not keen on continuing playing the game if it threatens to melt my ps4!!!

Come on Naught Dog sort this out or its ebay time.

Plenty of people have already changed their thermal paste and it's still the same.

Please read the links and try to understand that it only happens in the menus.

• thegoon59 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i got my ps4 is december and my ps4 fan is completely fine. it has never been loud for me to worry about it and i've played fallout 4 and uc4 on it. 2 huge games. if you guys got your ps4 years ago then maybe look on youtube on how to change the thermal paste. i heard the paste thats inside is not of good quality

• jessop7896 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Won't load up, gets to naughty dog screen and stops. Says disk is damaged or broken. model CUH -1115A, disk, installed Saturday 5/14, 140GB

• Holmes88x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ever since I got the 1.03 patch, my PS4 has been overheating while loading the title screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, tried the database rebuild,and made sure the fan is clean. It still won't work and I can't do anything. I know U4 is pushing the graphical limits, but it's happening on the title screen. This hasn't happened with any other games (played battlefront for a bit to make sure.) Looking for some feedback!

• Cloukos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that my console sounds like it's about to explode in both MP and SP menus

The MP beta also had the same problem... ND is not perfect, that's why they have this feedback site. ;)

We talkin' ND, I find difficult to believe they 'forget' to cap menus :) could be something else, but still, issue is there.

No prob mate, this is definitely related to uncapped fps. :)

I don't want to buy a new PS4 this summer... come on ND, PS4 Neo isn't even out yet, LOL!

I know tapantaola, I commented on your post :D
    I just added more details, and personal experience, to give more information.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base